One of the joys of being an interior designer is the constant exposure we have to new products – the fabulous, mundane, and the ugly! Regardless of what we are seeing in the showrooms, we can always depend on returning to these trusty pieces. All of the designs below have remained in production (and in style) for 50 + years – making them classic, timeless investments for your home.
1. George Nelson Bubble Lamps – Nelson discovered translucent plastic sprayed over wire frames was a more cost effective solution to silk pendants. When turned on, the plastic created a warm glow.
2. George Nelson Swag Leg Desk – Desks don’t have to be massive to be productive. Create a workspace in any room with this airy desk with petite dimensions.
3. Eero Saarinen Executive Side Chair – This soft fluid form flexes just slightly with it’s occupant. For a chair designed in 1946, it continues to use low-emitting products and is Greenguard Indoor Air Quality Certified.
4. Eileen Gray Side Table, This slender profile with open base allows occupants to pull the table closer to chairs and sofas. The adjustable height makes it flexible and functional for various uses.
5. Eero Saarinen Tulip Table – Supported by a single pedestal, the Tulip table allows more occupants to get cozy. Perfect for a kitchen nook or small dining room.
6. Arne Jacobsen Egg Chair – The Egg Chair, originally designed for the Royal Hotel in Copenhagen, is thought to be the first upholstered swivel chair. The unique shape has been ripped off a thousand times, but the beautiful proportions of the original are unmatched.
7. Ray & Charles Eames’ Molded Plastic Chairs – Fiberglass was manipulated and molded to comfortably cradle one’s body and reduce pressure on the back of the thigh.
8. William Platner Coffee Table – Tediously made from as many as 1,000 welds, this curvaceous steel wire form effortlessly supports a glass top.
9. Harry Bertoia Bench – Slats of wood are supported by barely-there wire rods. Don’t let the light and dainty appearance fool you – it’s engineered with strength in mind.